Emporia firefighters were called to investigate a small kitchen fire around 8 am.
Firefighters were called to 1211 Exchange after fire developed on the stove. The small blaze was already out when firefighters arrived a few minutes later.
Fire Capt. Ryan Schmidt says Harmony Duenas was cooking but the oil got too hot and ignited. The apartment was filled with smoke, so firefighters ventilated and later deodorized the space.
Schmidt credited Duenas, who tried to smother the fire with a lid and then used a fire extinguisher to complete the job. No injuries were reported.