UPDATE: Smoldering rags lead to east Emporia house fire Featured

Firefighters battle Thursday's house fire at 1305 Goura. Firefighters battle Thursday's house fire at 1305 Goura. Chuck Samples/KVOE News

Smoldering rags apparently led to a fire that heavily damaged an east Emporia home Thursday.


Emporia Fire Battalion Chief Tony Fuller says the rags were originally near an old-fashioned shop light and a battery at 1305 Goura. The rags were eventually put in a trash can near the house, but they caught the trash can on fire -- which then caught the house on fire.

Fire Chief Jack Taylor says crews were dispatched to the house around 10 am.

It was a good thing firefighters got the blaze knocked down quickly, because a water main break in the 700 block of Whildin, a block east of the fire, eventually cut off all the water pressure. Taylor says the water main break did not affect the firefighting or the investigation.

Firefighters battled single-digit air temperatures and subzero wind chills as they put out the fire.

Nobody was home when the fire started.

Click here for KVOE News' coverage from Thursday, including photos and video.

Rate this item
(0 votes)