July 4th, 2017
Written by Brandon Peoples
The Emporia Fire Department was called out to a reported tree fire that was called in just after 3 p.m. Tuesday on the 400 block of Exchange St.
An EFD official says the fire was ignited after a tree branch fell into the power line. It was not a fireworks related incident.
Westar Energy was called out to the scene in the alley way between Exchange and Cottonwood and temporarily cut the power so they could trim up the tree around the line. No injuries were reported and the fire did not spread to any structures.
Tuesday: 3:45 p.m.
Initially it appears the fire may have started from a tree branch that got stuck on an electrical wire and then ignited. Westar Energy has been notified. It is unclear if any power was lost in the area. More details are expected to be released later Tuesday. Stay tuned to KVOE and KVOE.com.