Firefighters make quick work of kitchen fire in central Emporia

  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

No injuries were reported after a minor fire was reported in central Emporia Wednesday afternoon. 

Fire crews were called out to 337 Garfield Street shortly after 3:30 p.m. after reports of smoke coming out of the front door of the home. Firefighters were able to quickly control the fire before it spread. Battalion Chief Steve Howe says the cause was due to a pot of soup left on the kitchen stove unattended. No damage was reported to the home. 

It was the second structure fire reported in Emporia in a matter of four hours following a fire reported in the 500 block of Stratford. See related story here.

Listen Live