Written by Erren Harter
to benefit Emporia Child Care
Saturday, October 28, 2017
BRUFF’S parking lot
10 AM – 2 PM
Entry Fee is $50
Competitors receive two (2) 20 oz. BRUFF’S Ribeye Steaks
to cook for the competition.
Click Here for Entry Form
2016 KVOE & Bruffs Steak Challenge Rules
Bruff’s Steakhouse / Bar & Grill
2640 W. 18th Avenue, Emporia, KS 66801
Saturday, October 28, 2017
10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Steak Cooking Rules
- Set up may begin at 10:00 AM day of event (Saturday, October 28) and must be completed by 11:00 AM. Cook teams will be set up in the northwest corner of Bruff’s parking, 2640 W. 18th Avenue, Emporia, KS. There will not be assigned areas for teams. Electricity will not be available.
- Cook Teams should have a list of all participants, including the Chief Cook.
- Bruff’s will provide two 20 oz. select cuts of rib eye steaks. Steaks will be delivered to teams at 11:00 AM day of the event. Teams are responsible for ice & ice chests for steak storage.
- All steaks are to be handled in a sanitary manner. Plastic gloves will be provided and are to be used in handling the steaks at all times.
- Cook teams will provide all seasonings and “secret ingredients”. Teams may use any type of fuel desired. The Cook Teams must provide their own charcoal, wood, pellets or gas.
- Cook teams are responsible for providing tables and chairs they might need at their cooking area. Teams are welcome to set up tents for shade.
- Some type of extinguishing device should be readily available to each cooker.
- Teams are allotted two 20 oz. rib-eye steaks to prepare for judging (only one will need to be turned in) the other steak maybe used as they wish. The steaks will be collected by 1:00 PM. Any other items a team wants to cook or prepare for guests for sampling would be welcomed.
Steak Judging Rules
- Steaks will be judged on appearance, tenderness, and taste.
- No branding irons or other identifying marks are to be used on the steaks submitted for judging. Your entry will be automatically disqualified if presented for judging with any identifying marks.
- When the steaks are distributed, you will receive an official box to be used in submitting your steak to the judges.
- Between 12:45 and 1:00 PM, a steak for judging is to be selected, placed in the official box and collected by representative and taken to the judge’s. All entries are to be received by 1:00 PM.
- All steaks submitted for judging are to be cooked to at least 135 degrees Fahrenheit.
- There will be a panel of judges. The judges will not know the identity of the cook teams. The steaks will be scored by number and the identifying number of the cooking teams will not be known until the awards ceremony, sometime after 1:30 PM.
10:00 – 11:00 AM – Cook teams will register and pay a $50.00 registration fee, and set up grills, ice chests, tables & chairs.
11:00 – 1:00 PM -Teams will receive 2 steaks. They will prepare their steaks for judging, and have the steaks ready to be turned in at the judging table in their official box by 1:00 PM.
1:00 – 2:00 PM - Judges will judge all of the entries, and announce their decision. Top three winners will receive cash prizes & a plaque.
1st Place - $300 Cash & Plaque
2nd Place - $150 Cash & Plaque
3rd Place - $50 Cash & Plaque